The larger room was originally the Speaker’s Office, which linked via a connecting door to a smaller a ‘retiring room’ or bedroom. The larger room is now used for the Office of the Speaker staff.

Both rooms are embellished with plasterwork, including floral cornices and a particularly ornate ceiling rose on the chandelier, which dates from the 1950s. The room also features a chimneypiece similar to that in the O’Donovan library, which retains early fireclay pieces in the grate, and a clock that is believed to date from 1868.


Speakers Staff Office

Outside the Speaker’s Office are the photographs of past Speakers of the Queensland Parliament, dating back to the very first Speaker, Gilbert Eliott, who served in the role from 1860-70.