Porte-Cochere

Porte-cochere

The formal entrance to Parliament House is located via the porte-cochere, in the centre of the George Street wing. This area was not originally part of Charles Tiffin’s design for Parliament House.

Read more
Grand Staircase

lobby and grand staircase

Located off George Street, the lobby is used as the formal entrance for Members, the Governor and other dignitaries.

Read more
Red Chamber

Legislative Council Chamber

Only used in its official capacity for 62 years (1860 – 1922), the Chamber was home to the Legislative Council, or Upper House. However, on 23 March 1922, legislation to abolish the Upper House was passed and Queensland became the only unicameral State Parliament in Australia.

Read more
Members' Reading Room

Members' Reading Room

The Members’ Reading Room separates the two Legislative Chambers. It is used on sitting days as a workspace for Members to prepare speeches and attend to other business while remaining in close proximity to the Assembly Chamber.

Read more
Presidents Balcony

President's balcony 

Overlooking the Brisbane Botanic Gardens and cityscape, this large open space is commonly used by the Speaker and Clerk to host events and functions. 

Read more
Legislative Assembly Chamber

Legislative Assembly Chamber

The Legislative Assembly Chamber was used for the first time on Tuesday 4th August 1868, before construction of the rest of the George Street wing was complete.

Read more
Ministers Room

Ministers' Room

The Ministers’ Room occupies a key position next to the Legislative Assembly Chamber. Sometimes referred to as the Cabinet Room, in the early years of the Queensland Parliament it hosted regular Cabinet meetings. The room retains most of its original plasterwork, chimneypiece, door and window joinery, and centres around the original table from the Legislative Assembly and a suite of yellowwood chairs.

ODonovan Library

O Donovan Library

TheO’Donovan Library is on the second floor of Old Parliament House. It is named after Denis O’Donovan, the fourth Queensland Parliamentary Librarian. 

Read more
Bernays Room

Bernays Room

The Bernays Room is named after Lewis Adolphus Bernays who served as Clerk of the Queensland Parliament from the first sitting in 1860 until his death in 1908. Bernays’ profound knowledge of constitutional law and the processes of democratic government was of great service to the Queensland colony. The Bernays Room features a tessellated floor, elaborate paneling, wallpaper, and decorative plasterwork. The room was originally a kitchen that serviced the Strangers’ Dining Room located on the floor below. However, during renovations in 1981-82, it was modified and became the ‘Past Members’ Room’, and then a room for Members of the Queensland Parliament to meet with visiting dignitaries. Since 2012, the room has been used as an office for a senior Minister of the government.

Cellar Dining

Cellar

Parliament’s basement cellar was constructed in 1882 in order to store food and refreshments. Two of the three access hatches for deliveries still survive. 

Read more
Lucinda Bar

Lucinda Bar

Also towards the river end of the Alice Street wing and further along the same corridor as the Strangers' Dining room is the Lucinda Room. This room, containing a bar and seating, is normally reserved for Members and is not often seen by visitors. It is named after the Queensland Government's paddle-steamer, the Lucinda, which was in service from 1885 to 1923. Early drafts of the Australian Constitution were drawn up under the supervision of Sir Samuel Griffith aboard the Lucinda which was moored, at the time, in the Hawkesbury River, near Sydney. The bar and some of the room's panelling came from the ship's saloon.

Strangers Dining Room

Strangers' Dining Room

Originally known as the ‘Members Dining Room’, this heritage room was exclusively used by male Members until the 1960s. In 1966 Mrs Ellen ‘Vi’ Jordan was the second woman elected to the Queensland Parliament and successfully asserted her right to dine in the Members Dining Room.

Read more
Billard Room

Billiards Room

Located above the Lucinda Bar is the Billiards Room. In 1898-99, the Brisbane firm of SC Scales & Sonprovided two magnificent billiards tables’, which were originally located inthe Lucinda Bar. 

Read more
Speakers Office

Speakers Rooms

Located behind the North end of the Legislative Assembly Chamber are the Speaker’s rooms.

Read more
Clerks Office

Clerks Office

The Clerk’s Office is one of the larger offices in the Alice Street wing, featuring two rooms. 

Read more
Strong Room files

Strong Rooms

Located in the Alice Street wing, the strong rooms house theofficial records of Parliament, dating back to 1860. Documents include allBills, parliamentary papers, petitions and official reports that have beentabled in the Parliament.

Read more
Ministers Room

The Presidents Room

Formerly used by the President of the Legislative Council until the 1922 abolition, these rooms are presently occupied by the Deputy Premier. The suite includes a larger room as an office and a smaller room as a bedroom.

Read more
Speakers Green

Speakers Green

The Speaker's Green is a grassed courtyard located at theheart of the parliamentary precinct. The Speaker's Green is a frequent locationfor media conferences and other events such as the Parliament House Open Day. 

Read more
Speakers Dining Room

Speaker's Dining Room

Overlooking the Speaker’s Green, this exclusive dining room has been used over the years for dignitary lunches with Ambassadors and High Commissioners. As the name suggests, the Speaker commonly uses this area for dining with special guests.

Premiers Hall

Premier's and Speaker's Halls

Located on level 4 of the Parliamentary Annexe, the Premier’s and Speaker’s Halls are adjoining function spaces for Parliamentary events. It wasn’t until 2006 that they were decorated with the portraits of former Premiers and Speakers and were renamed accordingly. Prior to 2006, the portraits were scattered around theprecinct. Speaker McGrady arranged to have the works brought together in onelocation, noting that the portraits were an important part of Parliamentaryheritage. He also arranged for plagues to be placed on the walls.  

Undumbi Room

Undumbi Room

The Undumbi Room is a multipurpose function space that has been used for a wide variety of purposes since its construction. 

Read more
Dandiir Room

Dandiir Room

Located next to the Undumbi room, the Dandiir room was renamed in 2004 following the refurbishments to level 5 of the Parliamentary Annexe. 

Read more
Green Deck

Green Deck

Located on level 7 of the Parliamentary Annexe, the Green Deck overlooks the Speaker’s Green, the internal facade of Parliament House, and distant cityscape. Members commonly use this area to host events, and it is also available to hire for private functions.

River Deck

River Deck

Located adjacent to the Green Deck on level 7 of the parliamentary Annexe, the River Deck overlooks Southbank and the Brisbane River. It is a vantage point for Brisbane City firework displays, including the Riverfire event during the Brisbane Festival. In fact, the roof of the Parliamentary Annexe is often used as a launching pad for fireworks. Members commonly use this area to host events, and it is also available to hire for private functions.

Read more