The Queensland Parliamentary Education and Communications Secretariat assists the Parliament, its Committees and Members to fulfil their parliamentary responsibilities and promotes the institution of Parliament and raise community awareness and understanding of its important role and functions.
Specific activities and responsibilities are listed below.
- To raise community awareness and understanding of the important role and functions of the institution of Parliament.
- To provide communication services for the Queensland Parliamentary Service.
Education and Liaison
- Seminars, workshops, conferences, professional development and youth parliaments for educators, secondary school students, university students, public servants, Members and their staff, and other client groups (both community service and fee paying).
- Educational outreach programs for regional Queenslanders.
- Educational and information resources for use in educational institutions and by the wider community.
- Queensland Parliamentary Internship Program, where university students undertake a nominated research project under the supervision of a Member of Parliament or senior officer of the Parliamentary Service.
- Ongoing evaluation, in partnership with Education Queensland, of current educational programs (including school tours) to ensure that they are appropriate for the target audience; based on relevant school curricula; and consistent with current best practice in teaching.
- Provide advice and education on Indigenous protocols
- Promote parliamentary activities and events in order to improve community understanding and awareness of the role and activities of the Queensland Parliament.
- Develop and implement communication strategies for service wide projects, or projects involving multi-services including engagement with the community via Parliamentary Committee Processes.
- Media releases, speeches and associated services for the Parliamentary Service.
- Support effective communications between the Parliament and its clients with an emphasis on the Parliament’s Website and within the Parliamentary Service.
- Provide multimedia design and publication services for the Parliamentary Service and parliamentary committees.