Welcome to the Queensland Parliament web site - accessibility access keys available by clicking here or by using access key 9, sitemap available under access key 2Skip to Main Content or by using access key 0View Access KeysGo to sitemapGo to useful linksGo to contact usGo to latest sitting weekGo to current members listView Access KeysRemote Access

Lucinda Room

Lucinda Bar

Also towards the river end of the Alice Street wing and further along the same corridor as the Strangers' Dining room is the Lucinda Room.  This room, containing a bar and seating, is normally reserved for Members and is not often seen by visitors.  It is named after the Queensland Government's paddle-steamer, the Lucinda, which was in service from 1885 to 1923.  Early drafts of the Australian Constitution were drawn up under the supervision of Sir Samuel Griffith aboard the Lucinda which was moored, at the time, in the Hawkesbury River, near Sydney.  The bar and some of the room's panelling came from the ship's saloon.

In 1892, another depression again limited funds to the burgeoning colony.  Regardless of the reasons for failing to complete Tiffin's design, no further significant construction was undertaken within the parliamentary precinct for almost 100 years apart from maintenance. In 1966, the George Street wing was underpinned.  Ornamental stone chimneys were also removed at this time for safety reasons.  Examples of these chimneys are now located at the edge of the Speaker's Green at the Alice Street end.

Although no major construction occurred since the completion of the Alice Street wing, there was the addition or upgrading of a few outbuildings.  These buildings included the refreshment room, the Lodge used for accommodating country Members, a house for the Clerk of the Parliament, stables and the Provedore's Cottage.  These outbuildings were demolished during the 1970s when further construction was required in the parliamentary precinct.