30 Jan 1902 (Goonengerry, New South Wales, Australia)
05 Aug 1974 (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia)
James and Catherine Jane English (nee Buckley)
Married - Mona Annie Evelyn McConnell on 2 Jun 1926, 4 daughters.
Sawmiller and Farmer
1. Mount Carmel College, Charters Towers
1. Timber mill owner
2. Malanda dairy and tobacco farm owner
3. Councillor, Malanda Shire Council
4. President, Eacham Shire Council
Party and Political Activities
Queensland Labor Party (QLP)
1. Member, ALP/QLP, since 1957
2. President, Malanda ALP, 1950
3. Secretary, Malanda ALP, 1941 to 1949
|Assembly||ALP ||MULGRAVE ||07 Mar 1953||26 Apr 1957||
|Assembly||QLP ||MULGRAVE ||26 Apr 1957||03 Aug 1957||Defeated
Other Seats Contested
1. MULGRAVE (State) 1950
2. MULGRAVE (State) 1959
3. MULGRAVE (State) 1960
4. MULGRAVE (State) 1963
1. He arrived in Queensland (Atherton Tableland) in 1904.
2. President, Malanda Bowls Club.
3. Mr English held executive positions in the Far North Bowls Club; the Eacham Rugby League Club; the Malanda Pioneer Football Club; and the Malanda Show Society.
4. Trustee, School of Arts.
5. Chairman, Malanda State School Committee.
6. Member, Cairns Harbour Board.
1. Waterson, DB and John Arnold, A Biographical Register of the Queensland Parliament: 1930-1980, (Canberra: ANU Press, 1982)
[Last Modified: 26 Apr 2012 10:55]
Back to search results